Improve your students’ office communication skills with this set of Around The Office game cards.
Students love playing games in their free time, be it video, mobile or tabletop games, but numerous studies have also shown the importance and positive impact games can have on learning. Incorporating games in your classroom can help your learners develop a positive relationship with the language and English lessons. While working with games, the teacher’s role changes from an instructor to a guide. This helps you to reduce teacher talking time and make the students the centre of the lesson.
Try this game with your students using our Around The Office Game Cards!!!
Can I borrow..? (all levels):
- Ask students to imagine they are co-workers and work at the same office.
- Depending on your class size, you can play with the whole group or in smaller groups of four. Get a set of Around The Office cards for each group.
- Ask students to split up the ‘image’ cards from the ‘word’ cards, shuffle each set, and divide evenly amongst the four students.
- Students take turns “borrowing” something from their classmates by using one of their word cards to match the image cards.
- A to B: [holding ‘paper clips’ card word card] Can I borrow some paper clips?
- If that student has the matching image card, they should hand it over:
- B to A: Sure! Here you go.
- If they don’t have that matching card, student B will have to suggest another classmate who may have it:
- B to A: Sorry, I don’t have any (paper clips). You should ask (Mary).
- Student A will wait for their turn to ask again. Then student B will get their turn to ask, and so on.
- The first student to find a match for all of their cards wins.
Note: some cards may not be “tradeable”, but students can ask about the location of that item:
- A to B: Do you know where the (lift) is?
When working with games, let loose your creativity to build a motivating environment in your classroom. Remember that emotions are an essential part of the learning process! Enjoy this material with your class, and let us know how you liked it!
DownloadsClick link to download and view these files
- PDF, Size 3.86 mb