Open a safe space for your students to discuss how to be a good LGBTQ+ ally.
How to play
- Give each student a copy of the worksheet
- Go over the First Conditional structure so that students know what grammatical form to use to respond.
- Explain that they need to go around, mingle, and read out the statement to their classmates. Their classmate has to finish it by saying what they would do in the situation given.
- Remind students that they should mingle and interview different people, not read through the entire worksheet with the same two classmates.
- Have a whole class feedback.
- Print as many copies of the worksheet as many groups you will have in your class. Cut the scenarios up.
- Divide students into small groups.
- Ask students to go over the situations and share what they would do. If they draw a blank card, they can write a new similar scenario and pass it on to another group.
- Encourage students to interchange opinions while answering. Remind them to express their ideas politely.
- Elicit some answers for some cases and open a safe space for debate.
*Note: These cards are aimed at working towards becoming a better LGBTQ+ ally. It is natural that you and / or your students might have some internalised bias in this topic. You should encourage an atmosphere of open sharing of opinions where students can work on their attitudes. At the same time, make sure you establish boundaries and do not allow bigotry or discriminatory language. Since English is students’ second language, they might need help with the appropriate vocabulary. If you are not a part of the LGBTQ+ community yourself, it is also helpful to talk through this worksheet with an LGBTQ+ advocate who can tell you what the most inclusive response to each scenario could be. If you have LGBTQ+ students in your classroom that you know of, be careful not to put them on the spot and force them into the position of an expert. While they might be self-advocates, it is not their responsibility to educate others.
DownloadsClick link to download and view these files
- PDF, Size 0.87 mb