Children love listening to music. Here are some ideas for using songs in class.
Songs and music with young learners
Why use songs and music with this age group?
- Children like songs and music and have strong personal preferences about what they like
- Songs often include a lot of repetition that helps to make language memorable
- Songs contain chunks of language that children can remember and use
- There are many songs that are about issues of interest
- Songs often contain current usages of language that are meaningful to children
- Because songs are sung at a reasonably fast speed they contain natural phonological features like linking and weak forms that students learn to recognise and be comfortable with
- Music can help promote a relaxed, stress-free atmosphere in the classroom
- Music can stimulate strong feelings that can be channelled to enrich the language learning experience