A short grammar activity to practise the second conditional.
- Write this model on the board:
If I were this creature, I would live...
I would eat...
I would ... (do what?)
I wouldn’t (do what?)
My colours would be...
- Ask students to think of a secret creature. It should be unusual: crow, octopus, grasshopper, worm, hyena. No cats or dogs - they're too easy, and not secret enough.
- Students then describe what they would do if they were that creature, following the pattern on the board if need be.
- They continue to describe the creature until the rest of the class is able to guess what it is.
- Demonstrate the activity yourself first.
- This can be done in IN THE PAST too. Just change the pattern:
If, in a previous life, I had been this creature,
I would have ...