The comprehension task contains the following problems …
2) They were occasionally out of work.
Question 2 lifts the exact words from the text. Students can cut and paste without understanding what ‘out of work’ means.
3) Del Vecchio had to go and live in an orphanage when he was only seven because his mother and father had both died.
Question 3 is far too long-winded. It could be shortened to:
Del Vecchio had to go and live in an orphanage when he was seven.
Del Vecchio’s parents died when he was seven.
6) The founder of IKEA was from Finland.
Question 6 tests world knowledge. Many students wouldn’t need to read the text to know the answer.
7) Kamprad started his first company when he was 21.
8) Ortega’s father worked in an office.
Questions 7 and 8 are not in the order in which they appear in the text.
The text about Amancio Ortega has been underexploited.
All of the statements are false.