Drilling activities for teaching grammar.
This is a very valuable activity and students need to hear and repeat target language to get their ears attuned to it and their tongues used to producing it.
- Model the target language e.g. He can pick up an elephant. Ensure you use the schwa in can. Allow students to hear the model sentence a number of times.
- Get students to repeat the sentence all together – you may need to say 1-2-3 to get them to say it at the same time.
- Get individual students to repeat the sentence so you can check that they have got it right.
- Repeat with other example sentences: He can’t pick up an elephant, she can speak Japanese etc.
- Allow plenty of opportunities for students to hear and say the target language.
Form – students need to be able to recognize and produce the written form
Writing the target language can aid memorization and produces a record of the language in their exercise books that they can refer back to.
They can practise the written form in a number of ways. Choose one or two of those below:
A. Download a grammar worksheet with five pictures of Mighty Mike and Weedy Will.
Students have to read the following sentences and match them to the pictures.
He can break a wall.
He can’t pick an elephant.
He can pick up an elephant.
He can’t break a door.
He can fight a crocodile.
Here students read the sentences and their focus in on the words on the page linking with the meaning of the pictures.
B. Give the students sentences like these:
Students write out the sentences correctly, focusing on word order.
C. Give students this grammar grid:
Then ask them to add words to columns 1,3 and 4:
Give students sentences like this and ask them to fill in the missing words:
Don’t forget to include presentation and practise of question forms.
Students match questions to answers, e.g:
Can you play the piano? No, they can’t.
Can he swim? Yes, she can.
Can they pick up a car? Yes, I can.
Can she speak French? No, he can’t.
DownloadsClick link to download and view these files
- PDF, Size 0.14 mb