This is a good revision activity and helps to foster a lively group atmosphere.
One of my favourite warmers is 'pass the parcel' with vocabulary - a variation on defining words. This is a good revision activity and helps to foster a lively group atmosphere.
- Write down a selection of words the students have learned during the term on pieces of card and put them in a bag.
- Ask the students to sit in a circle. Stand outside the circle and control the audio player.
- Play music. Whilst this is happening, ask the students to pass around the vocabulary bag.
- Stop the music at intervals during the song.
- When the music stops playing, the student who has the bag has to select a word from the bag and define the word to the other students.
- The student who guesses the word keeps the card and the game continues.
The person who has the most cards at the end wins! If the student doesn't know how to define the word, it can be replaced with another or put back in the bag. Obviously the latter isn't a good idea when there are only a few words left!