This activity works well as a warmer and is also good for practising giving and understanding instructions.
- Divide the class into three or four groups and ask each group to choose a volunteer.
- This student is then blindfolded using a scarf or similar.
- The task of the remaining members of each group is to guide the blindfolded student from one side of the classroom to the other without him or her touching anything on the way. Clearly this involves a lot of careful instruction-giving, with phrases like 'Turn left', 'Go straight ahead for a couple of metres' and so on.
- The more chairs, tables and other obstacles that are in the way the better.
- The winner is the first person to reach the other side without touching anything.
Tip: It can be useful to pre-teach some of the key instructions.