Here is a warmer or filler I've used for telephoning in business English.
- Tell the students that you are going to read out a list of words that all go with or collocate with a particular noun. The students should guess the noun. When a student guesses the noun they should stand up or put up their hand (but not call out the answer). Continue reading through the list until all students know the answer.
- Read out as follows: 'You can _____ it.' Filling in the blank with the word below. The answer is given in the brackets.
- answer, connect, pick up, speak to somebody on, leave off the hook (telephone)
- get, give, leave, pass on, receive, record, take, write down (message)
- have, make, keep, arrange, miss, cancel, postpone, fail to turn up for (appointment)
- check, get, give, place, lose, receive, delay, compete for, confirm (order)
- have, listen to, take part in, carry on, continue, break off, strike up a (conversation)
- take, make, give somebody, wait for, accept, place, return somebody's, put through (call)
Hope you like it!
No comments yet