Short drama activity to review adverbs.
- Prepare a series of cards with adverbs on them.
- These should be fairly easy to mime or demonstrate and can be varied in complexity according to the level of the class (e.g. from ‘slowly’ to ‘absent-mindedly’).
- Divide the class into groups of five-eight students and ask them to sit in circles.
- Give an adverb card to one member of each group and tell them not to show it to the other students.
- They then have to demonstrate the meaning of their word to the rest of the group.
- The group can ask questions. They might say, for example: 'Can you walk like this?' or 'Can you read a book like this?' and the student with the card should mime accordingly.
- The activity continues until each student has had a turn.
Tip: Review all the vocabulary after the activity and check that everyone has understood.