Part one of a series of English-language worksheets for nurses. In this set of reading and listening activities, students learn how to elicit the type and degree of pain experienced by their patients.
The assessment of pain is a complex activity that involves a consideration of the physical and psychological aspects of the individual. Because pain is a subjective experience, the nurse needs to be able to summarize the information gained against some objective criteria.
Students will learn:
- vocabulary of the signs and symptoms of pain
- adjectives to describe pain
- open and closed questions
- how to ask about symptoms
- how to summarize a patient's symptoms