Number one for English language teachers

CV hot tips

Type: Reference material

About to apply for a new teaching post? Adrian Underhill gives some essential tips on creating a winning CV.

• Remember to include a summary of your classroom experience in all areas of ELT.
  • Including a strong positioning statement at the top of the page helps your potential employer to understand what stage you are at in your career and where your ambitions lie. Here are two examples:

"Having worked abroad teaching ELT at primary level in Spain for two years, I now wish to use this experience in a more senior role."

"After three years teaching at a local language school, I wish to follow my interests in primary ELT teaching and expand my career into the area of teacher training."
  • Remember to show how you have developed as a teacher and what the key learning points are in your career to date.
  • Make sure that your layout is as clear and informative as possible. An average recruiter in a language school may see many CVs a day and yours needs to stand out.
  • Aim to fit all your information on one page, or at most two pages – it looks neater and is easier to read.
  • Always include as detailed a contact address as possible.

Good luck with your application!

Rate this resource (4.55 average user rating)

• 1 star out of 5
  • 2 stars out of 5
  • 3 stars out of 5
  • 4 stars out of 5
  • 5 stars out of 5

You must be signed in to rate.

Have your say

You must sign in to make a comment

sign in register